MU Stage 2 Modified (2015 - 2017)
2016 Program Requirements
In October 2015, CMS released a final rule that specifies criteria that eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet in order to participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. The final rule’s provisions encompass 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) as well as Stage 3 in 2018 and beyond.
Here’s what you need to know about meeting EHR Incentive Programs requirements in 2016.
Objectives and Measures
- All providers are required to attest to a single set of objectives and measures. This replaces the core and menu structure of previous stages.
- For EPs, there are 10 objectives, and for eligible hospitals and CAHs, there are 9 objectives.
- In 2016, all providers must attest to objectives and measures using EHR technology certified to the 2014 Edition. All providers may attest to objectives and measures using EHR technology certified to the 2015 Edition, or a combination of the two (if the 2015 Edition is available).
- EPs, eligible hospitals and CAHs that were scheduled to be in Stage 1 in 2016 may claim an alternate exclusion for an EHR reporting period in 2016 for Objective 3: Computerized Provider Order Entry, Measures 2 and 3 (lab and radiology orders), or choose the modified Stage 2 objective and measures.
- Eligible hospitals and CAHs that were scheduled to be in Stage 1 in 2016, or were scheduled to demonstrate Stage 2 but did not intend to select the Stage 2 eRx objective for an EHR reporting period in 2016, may claim an alternate exclusion for an EHR reporting period in 2016 for Objective 4: Electronic Prescribing or choose the modified Stage 2 Objective.
- Providers scheduled to be in Stage 1 and Stage 2 in 2016 may claim an alternate exclusion for the Public Health Reporting measure(s) that might require acquisition of additional technologies that they did not previously have or did not previously intend to include in their activities for meaningful use. EPs may claim an alternate exclusion for measure 2 (syndromic surveillance) and measure 3 (specialized registry reporting). Eligible hospitals may claim an alternate exclusion for measure 3 (specialized registry reporting).
- Review this fact sheet for an overview and more details about alternate exclusions for certain objectives and measures in 2016.
Here is an easy to use summary of the objectives and measures for eligible providers for Modified Stage 2.
All providers must also report clinical quality measures (CQMs) as part of the meaningful use requirements. Here is a summary of CQMs for 2016. For more information about these measures, see CMS.gov’s eCQM Library.